Tuesday, July 6, 2010

This post is now irrelevent because Blizzard reversed thier Real ID on Forums idea. Yay.

Ew.

Ew ew ew and EW.

I don't even post on the official Blizzard forums and I hate this. The only people I am Real ID friends with ingame are real life friends and a couple guildies that I consider good friends and would love to actually meet IRL one day. And even then nobody really calls me by my real name - I am Gneisha to everyone. Even IRL at a gaming store in my neighborhood everyone called me Dainz (which is my druid's name.)

Taking Real ID to the forums seems like an awful idea to me. There are a lot of people that prefer to have their internet "identity" stay separate from their real identity. I know I am one of them, and I'm not even moderately famous. Not even close.

"[Mila Kunis] has identified herself in interviews as a fan of the online computer game World of Warcraft and has received a certain amount of attention from the game's fan community as a result. She has not released what server she is in but says she is with her close friends in the Alliance. In an interview with Jimmy Kimmel, she said she does not use voice chat in the game after another player recognized her voice."***

Now imagine if she wanted to post on the official forums. Mila Kunis is not a common name - it would be recognized. Because of the implementation of Real ID on the forums, anyone who is famous (even moderately so) would either have to stop posting on the forums or hope like Hell no one figured out who they were.

We should have the option to show our name if we want to. This does not fix trolling. Blizzard has plenty of resources to control their own forums. I would rather they did a complete forum overhaul, make it so you couldn't post on multiple different characters (basically you had one handle) and moderated it with a iron fist. I would happily spend my days mod-thwapping anyone who broke the rules. (Mod-thwapping is a term carried over from the days I used to post a lot on the FictionAlley.org forums - basically a mod going in, editing your post, and "thwapping" you with a warning, ban, etc. And yes, Harry Potter fanfiction is fucking awesome.)

Hopefully Blizzard will hear this outcry and rethink their decision to do this.

***Quote copied from Wikipedia :D

No comments:

Post a Comment